…giving thanks always for all things to God the Father
in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.
Thankfulness is peppered all throughout Scripture. For many reasons it is an essential soil for the Christian to cultivate. It has been said that Thankfulness is a soil in which pride does not easily grow. For that reason alone, we ought to embrace an internal attitude, and an external acknowledgement of thankfulness to God.
What wisdom George Herbert makes in his request to God— Thou has given so much to me… Give me one more thing a grateful heart.
As Christians we are in a place of suspension between blessings. We are docked in between blessings received from God, and blessings hoped for in Him. In light of such position we should always give thanks! Wisely the Psalmist exhorts—It is good to give thanks to the LORD (Ps.92:1).
Obviously there is no shortage for that which we ought to be giving thanks to our God. Certainly it is a wise use of time & thought. It is interesting to note that which the Holy Spirit reminds us in Scripture regarding a life of thankfulness. What follows is a partial list of Biblical aspects of thanks. We would be wise to give consideration and bless the Lord, bless others and be blessed with a heart, mind, words, and practice of thanksgiving.
- is commanded- Ps. 50:14 & Phil. 4:6…coupled with praise- Heb. 13:15
- should be offered to God- Ps. 92:1… to Christ I Tim. 1:12…through Christ- Rom. 1:8
- to come before Him- Psalm 95:2 … in private- Dan. 6:10… and public- Ps. 35:18
- in and for everything- Eph. 5:20 & I Thess. 5:18…for all men- I Tim. 2:1
- upon completion of great undertakings- Neh. 12:31
- before eating- John 6:11 & Acts 27:35…always-Eph. 1:16; 5:20 & I Thess. 1:2
- when remembering God’s holiness- Psalm 30:4; 97:12
- for the goodness and mercy of God- Psalm 106:1; 107:1; 136:1-3
- for the gift of Christ- II Cor. 9:15…His power & reign- Rev. 11:17
- work of God’s Word in others- I Thess. 2:13…deliverance from our sin- Rom. 7:23-25
- victory over death & the grave- I Cor. 15:57…for wisdom & might- Dan. 2:23
- conversion of others- Rom. 6:17…faith exhibited by others- Rom.1:8; II Thess. 1:3
- love of others- II Thess. 1:3…grace bestowed on others- I Cor. 1:4
- for the nearness of God’s presence- Psalm 75:1…and to magnify Him- Psalm 69:30
A song for meditation